Burnahm-on-sea Cricket Club 1906 back row l to rt P G Edwards (sec) A Sully (2nd xi Capt) A MundyE Luxon E Harford (scorer) J. M Dryerre E Stone N J Peterham E Pill (Sec) Back row l to rt H Rogers A Lang A J Palmer A Nunley W Halse-Tucker (1st xi Capt) W A Young H Cox W Allen Seated on ground D R Brooks

Burnahm-on-sea Cricket Club 1906

back row l to rt P G Edwards (sec) A Sully (2nd xi Capt) A MundyE Luxon E Harford (scorer) J. M Dryerre E Stone N J Peterham E Pill (Sec)
Back row l to rt H Rogers A Lang A J Palmer A Nunley W Halse-Tucker (1st xi Capt) W A Young H Cox W Allen
Seated on ground D R Brooks

The club was formed in June 1861, following Bridgwater (1859), North Petherton and Weston Super Mare (1860). The first games were against North Petherton and Weston Super Mare, home and away, with matches played in a field near the railway station.

The teams consisted mainly of the ‘gentry’, comprising solicitors, doctors, clergymen, businessmen and landowners. Away transport was by horse drawn vehicles, “under the whip of Mr Waller of the Clarence Hotel”. In those days of limited travel, surrounding villages such as Berrow, Blackford, Brean, East Brent, Rooksbridge and Weare provided opposition.

The club has used at least seventeen sites in the town, including the BASC Ground, which has been the club’s home since 1980.

Our most celebrated member has been the playwright Ben Travers who joined in 1922 and was player, captain, then president from 1929 – 1952 when he was made a life member until his death in 1980 aged 94. Ten players have played for club and county, the most recent being Richard Harden and Bob Clapp.

To the present 96 centuries have been scored by 46 players. In 2016 saw Lee Coles break the club recored for the highest batting score of 166, previously held by Pete Courtney against Highbridge of 158 in 1940. The first recorded were in 1908 by T.Dyte (107) v Huntspill and E.Dodd (115 n.o.) v Bridgwater 2nd XI. Only one instance of 10 wickets in an innings is known: 10 for 12 by Vic Carpenter away at Frys of Bristol in 1957.